In 1942 a group of citizens in what was then the northern end of Princess Anne County began to recognize the need for fire protection, so in 1943 the Davis Corner Auxiliary Fire Department was formed.
The first fire truck was a Dodge truck purchased for $500 from the Richmond Army Base. The truck was outfitted with a Chrysler engine, a Hale pump, and a 500-gallon water tank. The vehicle was parked at the restaurant of Charter Member John Marr. (Later B&F Tire Company at 5548 Virginia Beach Blvd.).
In September 1944, Mr. and Mrs. Marr sold the Department a piece of property at 316 Davis Street for $10.00 and an official fire station was built. A cinder block building with its additions is still functioning as an automobile repair business at that address.
For a long time the volunteers did not have a centralized method of receiving and dispatching calls. A list of members, in the order they were to be called, was distributed throughout the community. If someone had a fire they were to call the first firefighter on the list, working down the list if there was no answer. Eventually, an outside siren was installed that alerted the firemen when a call came in. When the City of Virginia Beach began providing communications equipment at each station the installers had to wait until a volunteer was present to unlock the door, thus stations received a number based on when that equipment was installed. Davis Corner was the second station to receive the new communications equipment and was thereafter known as Station 2.
Prior to the mid-1970s business meetings were held twice each month on the second and fourth Fridays. Amazingly, the members were able to accomplish all the business of the organization without a hitch when the Bylaws were changed to require only one meeting each month.
In 1959 the rescue aspect was added to Davis Corner with the purchase of a second-hand Chevrolet Impala that was converted to an ambulance. Initially no training was needed to run on the ambulance, but eventually members were required to certify in American Red Cross Advanced First Aid, and later as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT).
CPR training began in 1968 with classes held at Virginia Beach General Hospital where students carried a manikin on a backboard down four flights of stairs, stopping at intervals to do CPR. Then it was onto a stretcher, down the hall and out the door to a waiting ambulance, and a trip around the parking lot all while doing CPR. CPR standards changed so quickly recertification was required every six months.
In August 1962, Davis Corner Auxiliary Fire Department re-chartered as Davis Corner Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. and in April 1968, a second charter as Davis Corner Volunteer Rescue Squad, Inc. was added. These two charters were merged into one in November 1978: Davis Corner Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad, Inc.
On September 1, 1964, our volunteer chief, Vernon Wilson became a casualty of Hurricane Cleo when a piece of emergency equipment he was driving stalled in high water and he was overcome by carbon monoxide. An elderly female he had rescued also died and her husband was critically injured.
Until 1973 only men were allowed to become members. This was due, in large part, to the non-availability of separate bunking and bathroom facilities for women. Donna Slack was voted in as the first female member in April 1973 with Kathy George following two weeks later. The first female members were not allowed to spend the night at the station because of the lack of sleeping and bathroom facilities.
With Princess Anne County now part of the City of Virginia Beach, on July 1, 1973, the first career firefighters were assigned to Station 2 to supplement the volunteers. The career firefighters initially were employed Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. to cover the time most volunteers were at work.
In August 1973 Virginia Beach graduated its first - also the nation’s first - group of advanced life support providers. The Cardiac Technician program was the precursor of EMT-Intermediate and our volunteer, chief John Scanlon (now Dr. John Scanlon), was a member of that first class.
In July 1979 Station 2 moved to its present location at 4672 Haygood Road.